Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Book Review

Ok I think I might make this a recurring theme in my Blog. A bit of a book review as I finish my current read.

As I'm not a very prolific reader there may be many weeks between, my thoughts.

Book 1: Mr Strangelove - A Biography of Peter Sellers by Ed Soikov
ISBN 0-330-48260-2

Ok I do like a good biography and I did enjoy this window into the life of a troubled (sometimes crazy), comic genius. His background before fame, was somewhat a strange up bringing - maybe why his comedy was sometimes bizarre re The Goons. But boy what a life he led, the string of fabulous Hollywood lovers (or at least in his eyes), the cars, and the glamour of the elitely famous in the 50's and 60's - something no modern day actor or actress can hope to obtain. As then stars were Stars an exclusive and privileged few, jetsetting around the world, friends of royalty and icons to millions.

This book manages to show many sides of Sellers, and was a great insight into a man of many onscreen characters but some how lacking of his own.

All in all a cracking read for a biography buff like myself (maybe a little biased as I love Peter Sellers' films). A good set up for the forthcoming film (if it's not out already) , just have to find someone who'd like to go and see it with me, hint hint biscuit tin.

Ok next read, still on the biographyside (cheers Matt) - either White Line Fever, Lemmy's autobiog or Not Necessarily Stoned, but Beautiful(the making of Are You Experienced), Jimmy Hendrix autobiog. I'll chose tonight and see you shortly.